Thursday, February 3, 2011

開始 (Beginnings)

Now this is not the end. It is not even the beginning of the end. But it is, perhaps, the end of the beginning. ~Winston Churchill

Today began the Chinese New Year.

歲次兔.

Year of the Rabbit.

As I said in regards to Groundhog Day, normally this would be just another day for me...

...just one more in a gradually lengthening line of cold, barren February days.

But not this year.

This year, I ache for color.

There is something sensational about the brilliance of the lanterns...

...the flash of the fireworks...

...the dramatic writhing of the dragons.

Amid all this white, the new year brings color.

This year, I ache for a new beginning...

...even though my own new year was a month and three days ago, there is something so refreshing about whispers of fresh starts.

Even so close to the beginning of 2011, this new year brings renewal.

It's exotic.

Refreshing.

New.

Exciting.

It's what we need in the midst of February's bleakness.

We need a pop of color.

We need a touch of zen.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I look at you and see all the ways a soul can bruise, and I wish I could sink my hands into your flesh and light lanterns along your spine so you know there's nothing but light when I see you. :: Shinji Moon