Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Drift

Down she came and found a boat
Beneath a willow left afloat,
And around about the prow she wrote
The Lady of Shalott...
...and as the boat-head wound along
The willowy hills and fields among,
They heard her singing her last song,
The Lady of Shalott.
~Lord Tennyson

I wish I could lie down in a boat and drift away.

Perhaps not to the tragic end that Tennyson's Camelot-based heroine found, but still.

The idea of lying back in a small wooden boat and floating down the river, as if in preparation for a funeral pyre being set adrift upon the shimmering surface of the water...

...it has always appealed to me.

Perhaps it is the romantic in me.

Maybe I am more like Anne of Greene Gables than I would like to admit.

Perhaps it is the tranquility of the journey itself.

Being surrounded by nothing but the whispers of the flowing water and the soft trills of songbirds in the trees, the gentle swaying of the boat lulling me into a state of peaceful sleep...

...what writer would not wish for such an adventure?

What poet would not be drawn to such a picture?

Oh, what dreams linger in such magical ideas.

So now I will lie down in my bed, close my eyes...

...and allow my mind to carry me away on the rippling waters of dreams and imagined wishes.

Tonight...

...I drift away.

1 comment:

  1. As soon as I read the beginning of this post, the soft music that plays as Anne goes about that scene began to play in my head.
    And you do seem a bit like Anne Shirley...she has such a dramatic elegance with her words ;)
    Beautiful, beautiful post.

    ~Lauren :)
    Ps: I wouldn't mind quietly drifting away in a boat either; there's something so peaceful in the idea...;)

    ReplyDelete

I look at you and see all the ways a soul can bruise, and I wish I could sink my hands into your flesh and light lanterns along your spine so you know there's nothing but light when I see you. :: Shinji Moon