Friday, May 13, 2011

Gentleman

A gentleman has his eyes on all those present; he is tender toward the bashful, gentle toward the distant, and merciful toward the absent. ~Lawrence G. Lovasik

Where have all the gentlemen gone?

What island have they been exiled to...and can someone send me the coordinates so that I might go and bring them home again?

Someone told them that they were no longer needed in this world...that their age had come and gone.

Someone told them that women were strong and independent -- that we didn't need men to care of us anymore...

...that we could open our own doors, and that a man coming to our defense was nothing more than offensive and sexist.

Someone said that chivalry was dead.

Well, let me tell you this.

They were wrong.

Whoever told Mr. Darcy to dismount his horse...whoever told Prince Charming to toss his crown in the mud...whoever told Orlando to burn his sonnets?

So please, gentlemen, come back to us.

Because there are still ladies in the world...

And we miss you.

We love when you open the door for us, or help us when we drop things, and we will thank you.

We love when you hold out your hand to help us up off the ground after a moment where our grace has fled, and we have stumbled over our own feet.

We love when you treat us with respect instead of just a pair of breasts...just as something to stare at and undress in your mind.

We love when you hug us, tell us we look beautiful, and look us in the eyes when you talk to us.

We love being treated as beloved sisters instead of sex objects and toys to show off.

So, please, come back.

And to those of you who haven't changed -- to those men who love me, respect me, and treat me as precious: I love you, and I am HONORED to call you my friends and brothers.

You are seen.

You are thanked.

And you are loved.

A man may learn from his Bible to be a more thorough gentleman than if he had been brought up in all the drawing-rooms in London. ~Charles Kingsley

3 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for this! I am actually going through this in counseling right now. I have only a negative perspective of men. So much so, that I fear them. My memories are only filled with men who were not there, or when they were they were less than ideal. If I had only had a gentleman in my life - just one man who didn't hurt me - maybe I wouldn't look at them so negatively. I pray everyday that God will show me where the gentlemen remain, that he will show me not to be so afraid.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Women should never need a man, up until the point that they find the one they honestly truly do need. Women should never depend on a man, up until the point where they find one worthy of being dependent upon. To a point women should learn to be independent, to learn to do things on their own until the day when a real gentleman does show up. In a world where so many men are valued on how much a pig they can be, it has become necessary. I wish they would come back too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That was so beautifully written, and I am in agreement 100%!! I love being treated like a lady, but it is also important that a woman should not interpret the man's gentility as a sign of interest. Because sometimes that will send the poor men running!
    Have a wonderful day! xxxx~Kelsey
    I just found your blog from Jocee, I love it!

    ReplyDelete

I look at you and see all the ways a soul can bruise, and I wish I could sink my hands into your flesh and light lanterns along your spine so you know there's nothing but light when I see you. :: Shinji Moon