Thursday, June 2, 2011

Burn

Holy fire, burn away
My desire for anything
That is not of You
And is of me
I want more of You
And less of me.
Empty me.
Fill me with You.
~Jeremy Camp, Empty Me

There are so many things I associate with summer.

Fire is one of them.

Bonfires on hot summer nights...roasting marshmallows over glowing coals and laughing with friends as we watch sparks snap up and join the stars.

The flash and boom of fireworks, exploding their tremendous color across the patriotic skies, the iconic scent of sulfur and warm summer evenings mingling to create an aromatic memory.

But there is another fire to add to this collection of glowing embers.

One so much more powerful, one so much more important.

And one that is the most deadly if it ever goes out.

It's the fire that cleanses. The fire that refines. The fire that saves.

The flame of my first love, burning like a beacon in my heart.

The flames can be beautiful, flooding my soul with His light and glory.

The licking tongues of fire can also be painful, purifying my heart through the burning of the rubbish that builds up in my soul.

But He holds me.

He keeps me in palm of His hand.

I would rather die than lose that spark.

I want to burn so bright that everyone who crosses my path can see His radiant light...

...the flame of His power and love...

...streaming out in waves from my eyes, my words, and my walk.

And so whatever the cost...

I want to burn.

But now, this is what the LORD says— He who created you, Jacob, He who formed you, Israel: “Do not fear, for I have redeemed you; I have summoned you by name; you are mine. When you pass through the waters, I will be with you; and when you pass through the rivers, they will not sweep over you. When you walk through the fire, you will not be burned; the flames will not set you ablaze. For I am the LORD your God, the Holy One of Israel, your Savior..." ~Isaiah 43:2-3


3 comments:

  1. Beautiful! Amen to this! Let us both encourage and strengthen each other and help keep that light burning inside us! <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love fire, I always have, and it is also one of my favorite examples of how God shapes us to be like Himself. It may hurt, but in the end we come out clean and pure and transformed. Great post!

    ReplyDelete

I look at you and see all the ways a soul can bruise, and I wish I could sink my hands into your flesh and light lanterns along your spine so you know there's nothing but light when I see you. :: Shinji Moon