Sunday, June 19, 2011

Abba

I love my father as the stars - he's a bright shining example and a happy twinkling in my heart. ~Terri Guillemets

I am a daddy's girl.

I don't care that I'm almost 21.

The fact that my dad is my hero has not changed, nor will it ever change.

My dad is one of the most incredible men in this universe.

Ever since I was a little girl, he has made sure that I know just how much he loves me...how much he loves spending time with me...how much he treasures every moment that he has with me.

I remember his warm knit sweaters, his same patent-leather shoes, and his laugh when he would throw me up in the air.

Since I was a baby, he has taken me out on "dates" to local restaurants and cafes-- everything from blueberry pancakes at the local hospital cafeteria when I was two...

...to frosty frappichinos and blueberry muffins at Starbucks as I've grown older and embraced my caffeinated side.

He taught me the value of the dollar...teaching me to tithe 10% of every penny I ever earned mowing the lawn, even being the professor of my Econ class in high school.

Daddy has been there for me every step of the way.

He read countless books to me and instilled in me a deep and passionate love of education and knowledge, showing me how to soak up every fact I learned and apply it practically in my daily life.

My father took time from his day to homeschool both me and my sister -- giving us an incredible education unlike any I could have ever requested from any public or private system.

He taught me to love music...to pick out the instruments from an orchestral piece...to sing and carry a harmony...to dance ballroom and swing...to sing Wicked and Phantom of the Opera while we drove down the highway together.

He taught me to drive. He taught me to laugh. He taught me to tie my shoes. He taught me to love. He taught me how to be myself.

My dad has poured himself out for me. He has prayed for me since before I was born, and still continues to do so every single day without fail.

He chose me. He didn't have to become a father...he could have very easily gone about his days simply loving my mother and living his life without the pressures of raising two daughters.

But he chose me. He adopted me into his family, called me his daughter, and has loved me more than I could ever have hoped or dreamed possible.

On my wedding day, he walked me down the aisle. With tears in his eyes, he kissed my cheek and placed my hand in my husband's.

At the reception, we danced. And we cried.

I've never met a man more humble...more considerate...more comically hilarious....more open and outgoing...more sensitive and heartfelt than my father.


I am Daddy's girl.

And no matter how old I get...

...I never want to stop hearing him call me "baby Rae"...never lose his kiss on my cheek...never stop receiving his random text messages...replaying his voicemails over and over again.

I feel like even this post is failing to communicate just how much of an incredible man my father is. How much I love him. How much I am HONOURED to be his daughter...to carry on his legacy to my future children...

...a legacy of faith that he has steadfastly carried from his father, and has entrusted to me.

I won't let him down.

My father is a man of God.

And I want to be a woman of God...

...just like my hero...

...just like my daddy.

I love you, Dad.

Happy Father's Day, 2011.

...there's a ball at the castle/ And I've been invited /And I need to practice my dancing / Oh, please, Daddy, please?"/ So I will dance with Cinderella / While she is here in my arms / 'Cause I know something the prince never knew / Oh, I will dance with Cinderella / I don't want to miss even one song / 'Cause all too soon the clock will strike midnight / And she'll be gone...~Steven Curtis Chapman, Cinderella





3 comments:

  1. I loved this post! So beautiful!
    I feel the same way about my dad too. He rocks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow...i love the way you write. this nearly made me cry. (that might also be because it's wayyy too early in the morning.) but this is beautiful! just beautiful.

    a simple, peaceful life

    ReplyDelete

I look at you and see all the ways a soul can bruise, and I wish I could sink my hands into your flesh and light lanterns along your spine so you know there's nothing but light when I see you. :: Shinji Moon