Sunday, June 12, 2011

Fear

Courage is not simply one of the virtues, but the form of every virtue at the testing point. ~C.S. Lewis

Fear is one of those topics I really hate discussing, let alone writing a post on the subject.

...say nothing of actually searching for images that best describe "fear."

I don't recommend it...at all.

Fear is one of those things that honestly freaks me out, all on its own.

I have so many fears...it's almost a bit laughable.

Some of them are superficial and really worth nothing at all, if you think about them too long...

...silly things like my utter and complete terror of spiders, or the fact that if you shut me up in a tight place of any kind, I'll have a panic attack unlike anything you've ever seen.

Others are deeper -- far more intimate to my heart, and frightening to the point that they threaten to shred me into pieces whenever I dwell on them too much.

Emotionally destructive horrors like the death of those I love, or spending the rest of my life alone and abandoned...

...a life without love...

...being trapped in a cage while those I love fall around me, leaving me unable to help them in any way.

These are things I fear...

...though, if I am being honest, fear seems far too tame a word for the feelings I experience at the very thought of this heart-rending occurrences.

....but I have a King who is bigger than my fears.

His presence is mightier than any earthly fright.

He is already there, in the midst of my trembling.

His love is stronger than my terrors.

My strength is based upon what I know to be true...

...and He is true.

"For God has not given us a spirit of fear and timidity, but of power, love, and self-discipline." ~2 Timothy 1:7



4 comments:

  1. I'm terrified of spiders and being locked in tight spaces, too!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Silly as it is, I love singing a song from Veggi Tales! I sing it in my head when I'm scared and it's siliness and message make me feel better! God is bigger then the boogie man..... =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. this sums up my feelings i have all the time. they're so hard to get rid of...
    http://simplepeacefullife.blogspot.com/2011/06/dont-be-afraid.html

    ReplyDelete

I look at you and see all the ways a soul can bruise, and I wish I could sink my hands into your flesh and light lanterns along your spine so you know there's nothing but light when I see you. :: Shinji Moon