Sunday, June 12, 2011

Bookworm

To sit alone in the lamplight with a book spread out before you, and hold intimate converse with men of unseen generations - such is a pleasure beyond compare. ~Kenko Yoshida

I am a bookworm.

I am fully unashamed of my deep and passionate love for the written word, as is evidenced by the shelves-upon-shelves of books that have been lovingly referred to as a "book cave."

Any season provides the perfect excuse for reading a book...

...be it the icy fingers of winter that drive me to curl up in my bed under a fluffy duvet, bringing with me a cup of steaming tea and a new paperback...

...or the whispering laughter of a summer's breeze, calling to me to bring my Dr. Pepper and newest ink-made investment to nestle beneath a spreading tree and lose myself in the pages.

And thanks to the precious and beautiful Grace at Puddles of Memories and her delightful summertime blog-party, I have an excuse to come up with and list out my planned summer book adventure list.

There are many places I plan to visit, many worlds with which to reacquaint myself, and many friends with which to pass the hours.

1. Harry Potter, Volumes I-VII by J.K. Rowling (re-reading, in preparation for the new movie to be released in a matter of weeks)
2. The Chronicles of Narnia, Volumes I-VII by C.S. Lewis (re-reading)
3. The Red Queen by Phillipa Gregory
4. The Bride Collector by Ted Dekker (currently sitting on my bedside table, the first several pages barely touched)
5. Immanuel's Veins by Ted Dekker
6. Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen (re-reading as I do every summer)
7. The Lord of the Rings by J.R. Tolkien (re-reading
8. I am Number Four by Pittacus Lore
9. Beastly by Alex Flinn (re-reading)
10. The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins (re-reading the first one, finally reading the other two for the first time)
11. The Twilight Saga by Stephanie Meier (re-reading in prep for the release of Breaking Dawn, Pt. 1 in November)
12. Mere Christianity by C. S. Lewis (re-reading)
13. Quivering Daughters by Hillary McFarland
14. The Redwall Saga by Brian Jacques (mostly re-reading, but there are a few that I have not yet read)

That is a mere thirteen titles -- a sampling of my intended list...although, yes, I will admit, four of them are series of more than one book, which does bring my count up by several.


Many of them will be read for the twenty-millionth time. Some I will be embarking upon for the very first time.

My excitement levels remain the same.

My imagined homes are found within these pages...

...places I long to see, but may never actually reach beyond my dreams and the printed word in which they reside.

I am a bookworm.

And may I never change.

Books can be dangerous. The best ones should be labeled "This could change your life. ~Helen Exley

5 comments:

  1. Bookworms unite!
    What is it about Summer that makes reading even more inviting?? Is it the longer days- more hours of gilded light by which to turn through pages? Is it the freedom of time, the lack of school-filled days? Maybe it's simply that the grass is so green and the sky so blue, that it simply begs for you to lie down and absorb it all. And what better way to absorb it than along with the written word? For I know that the times and places I remember in the greatest detail are the places where I read or particularly enjoyed a good book.
    I love your list. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. lol, brian jacques! i've read all of his books, but i haven't re-read them for ages...i should get them out.
    nice post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have some good books on your list there. I absolutely adore reading. It's my passion and pastime. But I never get as much time as I'd like to read during the winter, so summer has me very excited. I'm starting with some Jane Austen and C.S. Lewis. =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I always reread my favorites in the summer. There is always something new that stands out to me. There is something comfortable about a book I've read before, I can take my time and enjoy the ride more, insetad of racing to see how everything turns out!
    I should have read you post before I did mine, you remnded me if some books I've been menaing to read! =)

    ReplyDelete
  5. A Matter of Basic Principles by Don and Joy Venoit. A must read.

    ReplyDelete

I look at you and see all the ways a soul can bruise, and I wish I could sink my hands into your flesh and light lanterns along your spine so you know there's nothing but light when I see you. :: Shinji Moon