Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Adopted

Alek and I, 2011
Photo by DramaticElegance
For you have not received a spirit of slavery leading to fear again, but you have received a spirit of adoption as sons by which we cry out, “Abba! Father!” ~Romans 8:15

I'm adopted. 

While to you, this may seem slightly insignificant, it is indeed one of the most intrinsic parts of my life. 


Ever since I was a little girl, I've know that I had another mom and another family. I was told from a very early age that my teenaged birthmother loved me very much, but wanted to give me a better life with two loving parents. 


I'm also part of a growing adoption vein known as "open adoption," in which I and my parents maintain a close relationship with my biological mother and any family members who wish to stay involved. 


I have spent Christmases, birthdays, various holidays, and even just casual summer afternoons with my mother, step-father, grandparents, great-aunts, and the most recent addition of my now-15-month-old brother, Alek. Each and every one of them have remained such a wonderful part of my life...my biological family all attended my wedding, and my step-father even walked me halfway down the aisle. 


My adoptive family is beyond incredible. My parents waited and prayed for eight years to become parents. In 1990, they met my birthmother and adopted me...in 1992, they met my sister's birthmother and grandmother, and adopted my little sister the following spring. 


This afternoon, I traveled with my adoptive mommy to attend my great-grandmother's 90th birthday celebration. It was quite a barrage of emotions and feelings to see each member of my biological family again...as it is every time I visit them. 


I hope they know how much they all mean to me, really. I do my best to tell them...but I'm honestly not sure how to fully put it into words. 


They didn't have to keep me in their lives...but they did with open arms and loving hearts. 


They didn't have to continue to keep in contact with me for the past 20 years...but they have, and have made me feel like I truly am a part of their incredible family.


They didn't have to love me the way they do...but they do, with all their hearts. 


Me and my biological mother, Barb
Photo by DramaticElegance
It continually blows my mind.


I have been blessed beyond all words to have such an incredible adoptive family, and such a wonderful biological family. 


The legacy of faith flowing through my blood and carried strong through my linage is unmistakable, and a powerful blessing. 


I belong to three families. 


One by salvation, one by genes, one by choice.


All by love. 


See how great a love the Father has bestowed on us, that we would be called children of God; and such we are. ~1 John 3:1

4 comments:

  1. Great post, Rachel! I didn't know you were adopted (well, I knew I was your twin SOMEHOW, but this makes more sense. ;D ), and it is incredible that you've stayed in touch with both families! I have many adopted friends who have not been so lucky. It must be great having three families.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Rachel, dear...this is beautiful!! We adopted my three youngest siblings. Two of them (Angel-Leah *aka Flea* and Tommy) are siblings and we have an open adoption so they may visit their birth family...its a lot of fun, and even I feel close to their biological family. They are very sweet people.
    You are so gorgeous, dear...thank you for writing this post. You are such a blessing and I enjoyed reading about this special part of your life.<3 Love you!<3

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice post, I love to hear from adoptees! I have adopted three children from the foster care system, and I want them to have the best, happiest life I can give them. We have an open adoption with one birthmom ( I adopted siblings) but not with the other birthmom by her choice, although I have talked with my sons biological brother.

    I also have seven biological children, giving me a total of ten kids!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My being adopted isn't something that I broadcast randomly...but it is something that means a lot to me. With having just spent the day with a combination of biological and adopted family, I wanted to share that part of me with my readers. =) Glad to hear that it spoke to so many of you. <3

    Also, the love that flows from all of you continually BLOWS me away! You guys are incredible! <3

    ReplyDelete

I look at you and see all the ways a soul can bruise, and I wish I could sink my hands into your flesh and light lanterns along your spine so you know there's nothing but light when I see you. :: Shinji Moon