Sunday, July 31, 2011

Août (August)

I walk without flinching through the burning cathedral of the summer.  My bank of wild grass is majestic and full of music.  It is a fire that solitude presses against my lips.  ~Violette Leduc

Tomorrow is the first day of August.

The last full month of summer, and the eight month of the year.

I have always looked at August as the prelude to autumn...the first notes of the golden orange and brown symphony that is close at hand.

I'm not sure what I think about all summer being so close to an end. I feel like I've barely scratched the surface of what I want to accomplish before the days grow short and the prologue to snow arrives.

The colour schemes of nature will change from the fresh summery greens and purples...fading into the rich and fragrant reds and gold tones of harvest.

I'm honestly not sure if I'm ready for the seasonal change.

Yes, I am going to eventually embrace the inevitability that the promises of God are eternal....autumn follows summer, an unbroken cycle until the end of days. And yes, I soak in the beauty of every season...I do not have a favourite, for each one has its own glories of inspiration.

But summer has not ended yet...I still have time.

Time to continue to work on my production of OZ!, which I do promise to write more about in the coming weeks....

...to have picnics of sandwiches and lemon drop fudge, to sip lemonade and eat ice cream cones by the riverfront...

...time to chase fireflies and count the endless stars in the clear country skies..,

...time to taste the freshness of sun-ripened fruit against my lips, and embrace the delicate flavour of every sort of berry imaginable.

August arrives tomorrow.

Fall will have to wait

just a bit longer.

Autumn is a second spring when every leaf is a flower.  ~Albert Camus

6 comments:

  1. Great post and refections; and love the header!(:
    <3Katie

    ReplyDelete
  2. this is where i start wondering where you live... because in the southern US, it's going to be summer like for a good two months yet. October is when i start celebrating fall, when it becomes a second spring where every leaf is a flower. i'm looking forward to a break from the brutal heat, but i hope you enjoy your last month of summer! i do know what you mean about picnics and fresh fruit. that all ends for me when school starts...in three weeks. anyway, happy August 1st, and i hope it's a lovely month for you. <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Rachel: Midwest, USA...school starts in late August, early September, and with that, fall begins for me. <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely post. I'm not exactly ready for summer to be over either... But I do have to say that autumn is my favorite season - I love all the colors and the cool weather. I start school pretty soon... (sigh).

    ReplyDelete
  5. ah, i see. the fall SEMESTER begins for me then, but not fall itself. not the season. ah...semantics. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. gosh, this was just like that sun-ripened fruit you wrote about: sweet and fresh and satisfying in every way--my heart feeling full with every single one of your words.

    gorgeous post, my dear.

    ReplyDelete

I look at you and see all the ways a soul can bruise, and I wish I could sink my hands into your flesh and light lanterns along your spine so you know there's nothing but light when I see you. :: Shinji Moon