Friday, July 29, 2011

Mailbox

And none will hear the postman's knock
Without a quickening of the heart.
For who can bear to feel himself forgotten?

~W.H. Auden

I love the mailman. 

I love running down to my little postbox, slipping the key into the lock, and opening the tiny copper door to find letters personally addressed to me.

I love signing into my email and seeing emails written from one friend to another...personal, without a foolish "chain" or a message full of coupons, packed with trite, impersonal gibberish.

I love the written word, seeing my address hand-penned on an envelope...

...perhaps a few inked embellishments here and there to give the paper more personality than it already inherently possesses. 

I love knowing that someone took the time to sit down and scribble their heart onto the page for my eyes alone. 

It's is a much-loved gesture. 

Of all the movements in this world...

...of all the friendly acts known to the heart of man... 

...there is none so devoted or as timeless as a letter writ in human hand. 


This is something that I will never cease to adore. 

Not even after all the ink has run dry. 

The post office has a great charm at one point of our lives.  When you have lived to my age, you will begin to think letters are never worth going through the rain for.  ~Jane Austen

5 comments:

  1. YES. i love love love mail and written letters. they speak so much love to me. someone taking the time to sit down and put their unique handwriting on a card or page that i can hold in my hands... it's so unbelievably special. i'm totally with you on this one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So did you get the super secret gifty package today?! I ADORE mail! And you! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Rachel. I found you through Jocee's blog, and I love it here. You have such a wonderful writing style.

    And I think handwritten letters are great, too :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Rachel: It's truly one of my FAVOURITE things in this world. It's something so personal, such a momentary blessing that can carry on through generations when letters and found and re-read by children/grandchildren/etc.

    @Grace: I did indeed. And I adore you so very much...and my new knitty goodness, and beautiful six-page epistle! <3

    @Rachel T.: So glad you found me, and so glad that you're enjoying what you're reading.

    ReplyDelete

I look at you and see all the ways a soul can bruise, and I wish I could sink my hands into your flesh and light lanterns along your spine so you know there's nothing but light when I see you. :: Shinji Moon