Saturday, July 16, 2011

Treasure

"Our hearts are drunk with a beauty our eyes could never see." ~George W. Russel

This past week has been full of summery joys.

The delight of spending seven days on a farm, surrounded by perfectly green fields and more serene emptiness than I can even speak of in one breath...

...spending the sweet moments compiling my inspirational Etsy treasuries, filled with beautiful treasures that draw me in and make my fingers flutter with anticipation...

...losing myself in the pages of The Order of the Phoenix, never allowing myself to wander too far from Hogwart's gates...

...finding myself overwhelmed with the feedback for July's beautifully continuing giveaway, counting down the days until it comes to its end and the winners might receive their sparking gems...

...curling onto wooden porch steps and allowing the gentle pitter-patting of twenty-four kitten paws to wander across my arms, lap, and shoulders, finding innocent joy and comfort in their snuffling pink noses and tiny mews.

These summer weeks are the ones I love the most.

I feel as though I've written a thousand posts on the joy of summertime, and the little delights to be found in every single day within these blissful months. And honestly, you might all find yourselves becoming sick of my summery ramblings.

But I feel as though I've barely started to lift the guilded lid of the treasure chest that this warm and balmy season has deposited on my doorstep.

I don't want to put down my pen. I want to chronicle every moment of this bliss.

I want to lose myself in film and ink and compacted charcoal sticks.

I never want to let this book end or the pages become brittle from lack of touch.

There is much more to dream.

Much more treasure to seek.

Call me a gypsy.

Call me a summertime pirate.

I will walk this path, barefoot with flowers in my dark wavy hair...

...forever seeking this treasure, which we call summer.

Beauty deprived of its proper foils and adjuncts ceases to be enjoyed as beauty, just as light deprived of all shadows ceases to be enjoyed as light.  ~John Ruskin

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful! I concur about everything, and am jealous that you got to go to a farm! Summertime is sweet, serene perfection.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have a beautiful way of putting things! I feel exactly the same way about summer, and I love the idea of being a summertime pirate! =)

    ReplyDelete

I look at you and see all the ways a soul can bruise, and I wish I could sink my hands into your flesh and light lanterns along your spine so you know there's nothing but light when I see you. :: Shinji Moon